Monday, September 7, 2009

Efficient Transportation

I don't know if you could say that this nation has gone "green." The pollution levels here seem to suggest differently, but one of the main things that environmentalists stress is the need for people to use public transport or carpooling. You may be feeling that you are doing your part by sharing a ride to work with three other colleagues in your spacious 4 four-door sedan, but trust me, according to South Asians, you are wasting space and gasoline.

Every day I take what is called a "tempo" to my language class. A tempo is a battery powered tin can about the length of a sub-compact car that carries, legally, 13 people. That may sound insane, but actually I prefer taking those because they are more "spacious" than my return trip transportation. On the way back I take what is called a "micro-bus." A micro-bus is a 15 passenger van that drives a set route just like a regular bus. Unfortunately, the micro-bus operators didn't get the memo from the manufacturer that these vans were meant to hold only 15 people. They usually contain many more than that. The other day I was returning from class when I was unusually cramped so I started counting people. I was sharing the 15 passenger van with 37 other people. For some reason, I couldn't find my seatbelt. Why did God make me 6'3"?

3 comments:

  1. I just cracked up as I had this image of you being stuck in the very back seat with all these little people stuffed in that bus. Sort of like one of those woooden fold up rulers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to school! There will be 4 of us - Allie, a friend who rides with us, and an exchange student from Japan that resides with that friend, and ME! We will think of you as we drive to work tomorrow in my comfortable car with seat belts for everyone!
    Bonnie:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess when people have to travel and there isn't enough buses, you have to hang on for dear life to stay in the bus.

    ReplyDelete