Monday, September 7, 2009

Difficult Days

Our intentions with this blog are pretty simple. We try to give you an insight into what our lives are like here. We try to make you laugh with the things that make us laugh here on the other side of the world, although I think we may only have a 50% success rate. We rarely bring up deep topics, or even inform you of our needs. We save all that stuff for our email updates which you can subscribe to by sending an email to us.

With that all said we do have difficult days here. Many days we have what we now call "minor" annoyances such as having no water or no electricity. Or days when it seems that no one understands a word you say. Sometimes difficult days come because this world is full of fallen humans who do you harm when they cheat you, steal from you, lie to you, or in general put their needs over the thousands of others' needs all around them. God has blessed us though. He has prepared us and strengthened us up so that we allow these things to roll off like water off a duck's back.

There are some things though, that God doesn't and shouldn't callous us against, especially the suffering of humans. Last week I was on my way to school when I saw a mother with her child on the street begging. Beggars are nothing new to us, we are quite used to them. I don't believe Jesus would feel moved with compassion for the beggars who claim to need money for food but have thought it wise to spend their money on a pack of Marlboros so they can smoke while they beg and listen to their iPod like many we encountered on the exit ramps in Chicago. This was a different situation. I don't know what this woman did or didn't do that put her in this situation, but I know for sure that the little girl, about Naomi's age, laying on the cardboard did nothing to deserve this. Her little face was covered in sores, her clothes were filthy, and her lungs were being filled with toxic fumes all day every day. My heart broke.

We are here to see lives changed. Really difficult days are those when you are confronted with the truth that not every life here is going to change. Difficult days are when you realize you can't save everyone. As you read this, your heart may be feeling heavy, but just imagine how much this breaks the heart of this little girl's Creator and Father.

1 comment:

  1. I was teaching a bible study a few years ago to a women who was on drugs. She had many friends who liked to spend the night and get high. I taught in the drugs filled atmsophere for about 6 weeks and brought this women to church with a her guy friend. I was very disappointed one Sunday morning when I went for her. Her whole living room have men strung out all over the floor. She refused to come so I left and never returned. I believe you have to take the person out of the situation, if they really want to live of God. She didn't want too. She never called again. That has been a large disappointment to me.

    ReplyDelete