Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 6 - The Hedge

Here's the journal entry from September 27th, Day 6 of our trip, and my 31st birthday.

"My birthday. Honestly speaking, worst ever. We walked from about 8:30 until 5:30 where we finally decided on a spot. It was terribly cold, too high, and not flat, but the best we could find before dark settled in. This area has very loose crumbly soil that makes the trail precarious, very much like sliding through ash. We expected a long day today, but I think we walked slower than anticipated. I have a terrible headache, and Little Boy is coming down with something. As we set up camp, mysterious white clouds rolled in. The horse man seems to think it means rain will fall."

That night as I lay in the tent, I recalled how few people we had seen and what a perfect target we would be for marauders (if that is even a thing that happens there!). I prayed, "Lord, would you place an army of angels around this camp? Keep us surrounded and safe." The rain began to sprinkle on our tents after we had gone to sleep or at least attempting to sleep while sliding down to the bottom of the tent. During the night at three specific times, I heard what sounded like a gas stove lighting and thought the animal tenders were cold and making hot water. When we woke in the morning, we knew what the sound really was-- 3 landslides that stopped a small distance from our tents.


As we left that camp with thoughts of what could have been disaster for us all, I remembered the hedge I had prayed for. God put it there not to keep people out, but to keep that gravel from rolling us away. It was a reminder that, though it seemed like the world was a million miles away, He was as close as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment