Saturday, February 20, 2010

What!?!

Living in South Asia is full of surprises... especially on the roadways. The first time you see a a bus full of people with another 30 people on the roof it's a bit of a surprise, something to laugh at. We see families of 5 all on one 100cc scooter sitting comfortably, two guys on a bike with a full sized goat in the middle, and two guys on a motorcycle with a full 4'x 8' sheet of plywood standing on end in between. All of which are pretty routine these days. We get desensitized to the comedy of it all. We don't even laugh anymore when we see a 60 lb. Labrador riding on the front of a scooter. A guy on a motorcycle holding three dozen chicken by their feet driving down the road? No, not that funny these days. It's common everyday stuff. But, every once in a while we see something new. Something that breaks away from the ordinary, if you can call it that. Yesterday I was riding down the street on my bicycle. A motorcycle began to slowly pass me on the right, and then I saw the white butt laying horizontally across the passenger's lap! No, no it's not what you think. I am not sure how exactly they transport mannequins in America, but in South Asia they do it by motorcycle, one at a time. As the motorcycle pulled in front of me, I began to laugh as I rode my bicycle. Two South Asian guys on a motorcycle, and the guy in the back has a white, naked mannequin lying across his lap driving down the road. It doesn't get much better than that. Sometimes I feel sorry for all of you back home with nothing to look at while driving to work but the same old cars and the same old trucks. The next time you are sitting at a traffic light just picture a few motorcycles beside you. One carrying 5 people, another with a sheet of plywood or maybe a goat, and a third with a naked mannequin. It will make your commute much more interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh! I do actually miss the amusement of walking or driving down the road in South Asia! Penny

    ReplyDelete