Friday, October 2, 2009

#5 Home Sweet Home

We had two great full days of meetings. Each day held for us over 12 hours of work, and we definitely felt poured at the end. It was time to go home, and we were both excited to get there. We knew we had two long days of travel ahead of us, but we were ready to endure them to reach our families. Instead of our 16-hour trek, we took a 7-hour bus ride crammed into a space far too small for two 6’3” guys. Uncomfortable as it was, it was much easier on the legs than 16 hours of walking. We arrived back at the river town, made the 30-minute walk back to the car, and drove five hours back to our local friends' house. After a long day of traveling, we collapsed on our beds to recharge for our drive home the next morning. Once again at six o’clock, we set out on the road. We did kill one chicken on the way, but other than that our trip was uneventful. We even shaved three hours of our time off from 9 days earlier thanks to the empty roads!

As we were approaching the city, we finally crested the hill that overlooked the valley. The city had never looked so wonderful and welcoming before. Our trip was over, and we were nearing our wives and children. We thanked our Father for such a wonderful trip. Despite all the hardships, the work that was accomplished was very rewarding and very, very fruitful. Lives were changed, and that’s why we are here. I can’t wait to do it all again, minus as much of the danger as possible, and hopefully next time with my little girl and beautiful wife by my side.

1 comment:

  1. Wowy this reminds me of many the famous missionary books of the people going through harsh travels in order to bring the gospel to people so eager to hear. I am so proud of you PJ for going out to do this long, exhausting, and dangerous journey.I always try to ask myself could I do the same and now after living on the field I have a much more accurate view of myself of my limitations when formally I thought I could do most anything. Lizzy I am proud of you being able to be apart from PJ all those nights. I still do not like even being apart from Jas even one night but of course there is no helping that from happening at times. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete